Sunday, October 26, 2008

Success, Success, Success


It really bugs me when people make faces or speak in weird tones when i tell them I'm majoring in history. "History? Why history?" WHY THE BLOODY HELL NOT????
Next question is "What do you plan to do after majoring in history?" Well, don't you know? I'll be dressing up and parading around as Queen Victoria at Prince of Wales museum, bestowing Knighthood upon people like you!!
I often want to tell these people to get off my back. They irritate and anger me endlessly. And that's because I can imagine exactly what they are thinking - What will she do with a history major/ I thought she was intelligent/She has potential to do better than this. Their definition of success involves a degree in medicine, engineering, finance, business, literature etc (in that order) and then a house, car, office, money - lots of it.

Well, guess what? My definition of success does NOT include a huge house, a car that i most probably won't even be able to drive, sitting in a swanky office having many disinterested people working under me blah blah. NO SIR.

If you are happy doing what you are doing, believe me, you are successful. Getting up each morning looking forward to your day means you have made it - you are doing something you like- something you most probably are good at; and that itself is usually the formula for success.
By the way, the formula for success also includes an indomitable will, determination to succeed, a very optimistic outlook and so on, and these you can gather only if you want to succeed in a particular thing... confused? EG: If i had majored in economics (I was unfortunately good at it, I also happen to hate it) I'd have had to look for a related job and then work to be successful doing something i didn't even like in the first place!

OK, enough with success, I've used the word a million times already..this post is just a hug to all those people out there who are majoring in HISTORY, philosophy (poor dogs), geography, Latin, Greek, library science, Zulu ideology etc - Hang in there guys!

5 comments:

coconut groves said...

Hi!

Hilarious :) I laughed through it. Just follow your dreams!

Sunil Saigal said...

Hello!

U are true dreamcather..keep dreaming. Dreaming is a first step for achievment.
I liked your blog, its interesting.
keep writing..so that we can come back again.

Sunil
www.artisticmenia.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

ya..,agree with you.
Success is not 'Glamor' it is beyond that..right.[:)]

Hamsa Iyer said...

hahahahaha!
btw.. i didnt know you've taken up history.. serious. i thot you'd taken up eco..
bt.. i totally agree on what you've blogged on..
go soup!
go pain!

wishful thinking said...

HEAR HEAR!