Sunday, December 5, 2010

Why I Write

I often see writers trying to explain why they write. They do it eloquently, gracefully. Look at Terry Tempest Williams's essay. (Tempest. What a fascinating name. Does it offer us a glimpse into her personality? But then, are we moulded by our names? I know people who are nothing like their names, many named after gods and qualities they never reflect :D And yet others who are their names personified. Sulekha. Good writer. She is. Mehjabeen. Moonbeam/Moon-like. She lights up a room.)

Tempest says she writes because:
http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=502133944457

I think, I ponder, try to get inspired. I struggle and finally, I squeeze out a few words, about why I write, before I give up. For now.

I write to put my memories into words. I write to share my life. I write because it makes me happy. I write because it makes me question, it makes me think. I write because it is the only way I will ever express all my thoughts, everything I feel. I write to challenge my imagination. I write to tell stories. I write to tell you about my day, to cajole you into telling me about yours. I write about things that matter to me, about people who matter to me. I write because I like the sound of words, their taste, their feel. They give me company on sunny days, on rainy evenings and on silent nights. They surround me when I am alone; they protect me in a crowd. They float around me like dust motes in a bright sunny room, and I follow them with my eyes, frantically trying to commit them to memory, or to paper at least. They flutter all around me, make me what I am. I bat at them like a cat, try to pluck one out of the air and pin it down. It’s hard. Yet, I love these words. Words, do not float away from me. Stay close.

1 comment:

Karthik said...

You don't, never, ever find the words. They find you. And yes, words do define a person way more than personalities or names. Its quite a task to fool someone with words - no one can change their spots easily.

That said, others words are ideal fodder to make your own. So, have some nice soup, play around with imaginary Jack, imagine tiny crabs with claws stuck in those dust motes, uttering crab gibberish..

And during all of this, if your text editor is open, then you'll probably like what you end up writing :)

V.v.V