Sunday, November 22, 2009

Another night passed me by


Inspired by Nick Drake's 'One of these things first', among others.

I could have been a writer, inky fingers, high on coffee, surrounded by books and papers, unaware of time passing by.
I could have been an archeologist, brushing earth off another world.
I could have been an adventurer, riding horses in the Kazakhi steppes, climbing Mount Everest; or diving into the depths of the Pacific.
Could have been a travelling musician, strumming my guitar; a fiddler or a flautist.
Could have been a dancer, a graceful figure across a wooden floor.
Could have been a potter, sticky muddy fingers, wet earth.
Could have been a sailor, under open skies, tasting salty air.
Could have been a painter, my world a canvas of many hues.
Could have been an actor, reveling in dramatics.
Could have been a singer, music reverberating through my soul.
Could have been a farmer, coaxing new life through the ever giving earth.
Could have been an architect, raising a city from scratch.
Could have been a trader, of dreams, of stories, of words.
Could have been a kite, floating off into the sky.
Could have been a steam engine, chugging my way through mountain passes.
Could have been a bell, chiming my delight.
Could have been the breeze, gently blowing through cracks and corners of windows and doors, through narrow alleyways and over open fields.
Could have been the rain, pattering down on roofs and leaves.
Could have been a tree, waving my branches just because I felt like it.
Could have been a star, twinkling down at night.
Could have been the Sun, smiling cheerfully at the world below me.


Here I am, just a student, blinking away the night.

10 comments:

Maansi said...

Did u write the whole thing urself last night? its a great chain of thots. loved reading it!!!

Supriya said...

Maansi!! Ya, had to get out of bed, swearing away, because if I did not write it down, it would be gone by morning.

Nick Drake's song talks abt him being inanimate objects.

Neeti Govila said...

hey...! Soup.. loved reading it too..! hows it going dearie? :D

Brewing Coffee said...

You can never be 'just a student'. It always falls into place. I want to be a 100 things too. darn the shortness of life!

Brewing Coffee said...

maybe you will be the subject of everyone's envy; in an endearing way of course.

sulekha said...

Beautiful thoughts! Very picturesque. Go as high and as deep as you desire into the skies or into the ocean. You will always come back with treasures. So no issues :)

Seema Kamdar said...

great way of saying you love what you do and you are comfortable being in your skin...

nice choice of professions too! keep it up!

Unknown said...

It was wonderful Ponns'. So fine that feel like reading it again and again. It has really come from the depth of your heart.
Great,
Keep it up.
Padikkal

Anonymous said...

thats so many aspirations :) and a nice poem

mygoodeye said...

:) same pinch

M