Thursday, April 28, 2011

An odd, disjointed post

Silence. Some feel oppressed by it, some live with it. I love it, just as I love darkness. I love it just as I love sound, just as I adore light. Everyone sees the world in different ways; I see it in these terms – silence, noise, darkness and light. We have already assigned value to everything. Dark is bad, light is good; as for silence and noise, both have their virtues and vices – silence may be peace or death, noise may be chaos or life.

I can wish and hope that I will live in a quaint village far away from ‘the maddening crowd’, but the reality is, I have always lived in cities, plonked right into the centre of humanity. Life hurries past, its impatience and breathlessness is stunning. Why does no one wait? Why does no one look a person in the eye? Why the shuffling, pushing and hurrying? Where are they all going? No, I am not trying to ask some profound existential question - seriously, where the hell are they all going? I imagine them running through their days, mechanical, schedule bound, day in and day out – and suddenly, stunned, surprised – they are 70 and life as they know it, youth, has passed them.

Life, as I know it, is baffling at times. What is our purpose? At 20, we battle confusion and anxiety to answer this very question, some lucky ones come up with answers that satisfy their minds, while the rest just muddle their way through life, or so I suppose. For me, life is one huge learning process - but for all that learning, we get only one shot at it. So next time I am confronted with a big decision, I suppose I should remind myself of this: one life, one chance. No regrets. In the end, I will be worm food. Might as well make my journey toward the inevitable more eventful. So, I will continue to wear my childish socks, and love my colourful laces, and I will continue talking to myself. I will write here even if no one read this, though I sure as hell will try to make people read it. I will continue to watch sitcoms and dramas till I lose interest in them, and not care that I haven’t listened to, or don’t like, classic rock bands.

Wait. Watch. Breathe. Now go.

5 comments:

sulekha said...

Nothing disjointed about this post. Isn't it nice to go down the path one believes in? And hang the world and its opinions..

Abhinav said...

Precisely my thoughts. Very beautifully Expressed.
I feel as humans we tend to be excessively future-oriented, driven by a vision of a fully-gratifying life. Some balance by appreciating & relishing the life as it is can certainly do us some good.

Ps. Your "I am not trying to ask some profound existential question" made me chuckle.

Karthik said...

self-defined madness is the realm to live in..
age is just a number - if you feel the need to change yourself because society deems it necessary, don't you cease being yourself? Nicely put soup..

U R ANUSHA said...

The essence of Binary opposites...silence/noise,darkness/light, abnormal/normal...perhaps it is the existence of binary opposites that help sanity survive as worm food.

Mohamed said...

I really liked this one, so deep and have lots of feelings and meanings, I found myself in many places here.

My fav. parts:
"Dark is bad, light is good; as for silence and noise, both have their virtues and vices – silence may be peace or death, noise may be chaos or life"
"So next time I am confronted with a big decision, I suppose I should remind myself of this: one life, one chance. No regrets"

Nice post Sup ;)